TrustSTFC are fully in support of this initiative from the FSA and the helpful site is a must read for anyone who feels they have issues with gambling, there are some great tips and tricks to help anyone who is struggling.
The Hub has been created in partnership with with BeGambleAware and the imitative is aiming to help create a safer gambling environment for all football fans.
Gambling is often dubbed the ‘hidden addiction’ as it can be difficult to spot, but for some fans gambling can have disastrous effects on individuals, their family and friends.
It’s really important that all football fans are aware of the risks of impulsive betting and can recognise the behaviours that can lead from a bet on the football each Saturday to a more serious gambling issue. Football clubs have access to thousands of fans and have the authority to inform them on safer gambling. We hope the below inventory will help you create a safer gambling environment for all supporters.
Safer Gambling Tips
Below are some handy tips on how fans can keep Bet Regret in check and think twice before placing a bet. We welcome you using these on any of your communication with fans, and for more information on these and the campaign head to www.begambleaware.org
- Take a time out – Think Twice and go bet-free for a period of time. You can set a Time-Out period of hours, days or weeks through most online gambling accounts
- Pause before you place it – Pausing can help us make better decisions. Wait five seconds before pressing that ‘Bet now’ button. Count to ten or say the bet out loud and focus on how much you could lose, before you commit
- Balance gambling with other activities – It’s important that gambling isn’t your only pastime. Try to plan hobbies and activities to help fill free periods. When you’re busy you’re less likely to make a bet you know you shouldn’t
- Set a money limit in advance – Before you start betting set yourself a cash cap and think twice about how much you’re willing to bet. You can set yourself daily or weekly limits. Many sites allow you to pre-set a maximum amount for deposits, stakes and losses over a given time period
- Set a time limit – Why not set yourself limits on the times you bet? Plan a distraction for those moments when you’re not betting and stay clear of Bet Regret. Many betting and gambling providers allow you to set up notifications to help you manage your time. Or just set an alarm on your phone.
Another great resource is here on the Goodluckmate website goodluckmate.com/guide/responsible-gaming